Air Conditioner Fan Replacement, A Step By Step Guide
With our air conditioner fan replacement guide, you can do it yourself and save. The typical cost for
an hvac service company to perform this task would be over $300. Our guide will walk you through the
process of diagnosis, motor selection, and replacement.
HvacRepairGuy now offers free live help with all your air conditioner problems by clicking on the chat
**NOTE** Only you can assess your ability to perform this task. This is a guide and
cannot provide all of the details for every situation.
If you suspect the condenser fan motor is bad you should check to be sure
you replace it. Begin your diagnosis by shutting the power off to the air conditioner.
Common Motor Problems
Next, you should check to see if the fan blade spins freely. If it does not, the motor should be
replaced. If the blade spins freely, you should feel the motor to see if it is hot.
If the motor is hot, you should check it's run capacitor using our
and replace it as necessary. If the run capacitor was bad, you should allow the fan motor to cool.
you can turn the unit back on and see if the motor starts and comes up to speed. If the fan fails to
or does not run at full speed, it should be replaced.
Replacement Motor Selection
The next step, in air conditioner fan replacement, is to select the proper
replacement motor. This is also a good time to consider a money saving upgrade for your
All motors have a model/manufacturers number on them. You can usually find an
exact replacement with that number.
If you are unable to find an exact replacement, you can usually use a universal
replacement. Here is what you should look for and match:
- The motor diameter in inches (3.3, 5, 5.5, 6.5)
- The operating voltage (115, 208-230, 460)
- The horsepower (1/8, 1/6, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2) ** Many universal replacement motors have more than one
- The size of the shaft in inches
- The speed in rpm
- The direction of rotation. (** Many universal replacement motors are dual rotation. The direction
is easily changed to meet the required need.**)
- The mounting method. (** Many universal replacement motors can be mounted in multiple
Air Conditioner Fan Replacement
- Ensure that the power to the unit is off
- Write down the colors of the fan motor wires and where they are connected
- Remove the motor and fan assembly. (There are several different ways that they can be mounted.
required is to loosen the bolt on the band that holds the motor in place. On some units, the
mounts are built into the motor.)
- Remove the fan blade from the motor. (It is important that you note the orientation of the blade
To remove the fan blade, loosen the set screws and twist and pull the blade off the shaft.)
- The replacement motor is installed by simply reversing the removal procedure. (You should pay
attention to make sure the fan blade is centered in the
opening on the unit.)
- The run capacitor should be replaced anytime a motor is replaced. (Ensure that you have the
for your motor and the desired horsepower
(for multi horsepower motors).)
- Complete your air conditioner fan replacement by verifying proper rotation and cooling system